When to water?
How much to water?
How to water?
If we approach garden maintenance in organic sustainable way I have couple watering tips in this hot weather.
I do advise do water as little as possible. This can be easier with an automatic irrigation system and with moisture sensor in the garden.
Tips to help you!
1. Keep evenly moist
Most plants like even moisture.
2. Do water more seldom but then thoroughly to make sure soil get wet at least 10-15 cm
In the flower bed, one to two watering sessions per week. It is better to water occasionally but with plenty of water rather than a little water often.
3. Always water late in the evening or early in the morning
Watering of an evening or early morning allows plants to sufficiently supply themselves with water before the next day’s heat.
4. Keep leaves dry
Wet leaves can become diseased leaves. Leaves wet overnight, may result leaf-mould . Leaves that are wet in the sun can develop slight burn marks (burning glass effect of the water droplets).
5. Give the right water quantity
Every place in garden can vary, but aim for 10-15 cm depth
6. Give larger water quantities in parts
Water needs a moment to seep into the soil.
Never do watering only at one root point.
Do always water around the plant and covering the entire root area.
7. Irrigate in a way that saves water
8. Avoid water-logging
Water-logging suppresses the breathing air of the roots out of the soil and the root cells drown without oxygen.
9. Use quality, clay-rich soil with high humus content with will hold moisture.